Step-by-Step Guide on How to Open Nesting Dolls
Posted by Mary Stillwell on
So, you bought a Russian nesting doll from us, but you found yourself asking how to open nesting dolls. We are here to solve your problem, as we will give you tips for opening these barrel-like figurines. But first, you need to know what this doll is.
A Russian nesting doll, otherwise known as matryoshka doll, is a set of wooden figurines of decreasing size placed inside of each other. It has wooden figures, seperating top to bottom to reveal a smaller figurine in it. Thus, playing Russian dolls is a fun way for kids to learn colors and sizes and to sort things out.
How to Open Matryoshka Dolls
There are ten steps for opening Russian dolls. These steps vary, depending on the size of the figurine. Follow these steps to learn how to open nesting dolls:
Opening a Large-Sized Russian Doll
- Open your doll on a soft surface to keep your doll in decent shape while releasing the figurines. Sofa beds and mattresses are the best places to play this toy.
- Place one hand on top of the figurine and your other hand beneath it. Bring the toy up to your chest in a parallel position.
- Pull both ends into your chest to “break” the toy in half.
- Pull the top and the bottom parts apart once you have separated them. Do it carefully so that you will not drop the figurine inside it.
- Repeat the process until you reach the smallest figurines.
Opening a Small-Sized Matryoshka Doll
Opening a small Russian doll is different from opening a massive nesting doll. You need to do a few tricks to get the smaller dolls out of the bigger ones. Follow these techniques to open small nesting dolls:
- Use your thumb and middle finger and apply light pressure to the doll’s dress. Do this procedure until it creates a small gap between the bottom and the upper part of the figurine.
- Insert a fingernail between the opening and carefully pry them apart.
- Repeat this procedure until you get all the dolls.
If the Dolls Don’t Open
There are cases when you cannot open the doll because the wood has somewhat expanded. If so, you need to follow these steps:
- Lay the nesting doll in a vertical position. Use a soft, flat surface to prevent the toy from damaging.
- Use the sole of your hand and place it on the seam. Apply light pressure until the doll opens. Do it gently to prevent the figurine from squashing.
Opening a Russian doll is not as easy as it seems. Learning how to open nesting dolls will make this task enjoyable.
Share this post
- Tags: Articles